THE GEORGE A. MOORE FOUNDATION
10, South Parade
Registered in England
Charity Registration No. 262107
Site updated: 13 April, 2016
Welcome to the The George A. Moore Foundation
George Albert Moore was born at the Mitre public house in Knaresborough in 1928 where
his father was landlord. On leaving the local Secondary Modern School in 1945 he
formed his first company -
Mr. Moore’s success and entrepreneurial flair soon necessitated the company to move to larger premises which he purchased on the derelict wartime Royal Ordnance Factory site at Thorp Arch near Wetherby, but he also saw the potential for the rest of this 425 acre site which he later purchased and which is now known as Thorp Arch Trading Estate.
The George A. Moore Foundation was founded in 1970 by Mr. Moore, initially as a welfare fund for the hundreds of people he employed in his factories. The Foundation’s funds were greatly enhanced in 1987 when Mr. Moore sold his business and today, this well respected Grant Making charity continues to operate from the monies which were privately invested by the Moore family.
Mr. Moore and his wife Elizabeth are now enjoying a well-
Over the years the Foundation has provided £millions of much needed support to hundreds
of charitable organisations, both large and small, operating in many different spheres
The Foundation is now concentrating its efforts almost exclusively in Yorkshire and the Isle of Man.